The company has been organically growing over the years.. and we are currently looking for the perfect match to our unique criteria.
We frequently receive enquiries about working for Bellerby & Co almost so we thought we’d include a little information about what we look for and what working for us is like. Please read on if you are interested in the role.
All of our permanent employees start as apprentices.
It takes between 6 months to a year to learn how to make just the smallest sized globe…. it is a further few years to make the larger sized globes.
Since it is unlikely we will find a former Globemaker.. all applicants will have to have a trial period… you have to try it before you both know you can do it… and to know you like doing it!
All jobs in our company require a patient and passionate person who will commit to the learning process and wants to stay in the company for at least 3 years afterwards.
We do not hire short-term interns. All work in the company requires a skilled and experienced hand.
When we are hiring we look for an art AND design background. We look for MAKERS. People who have previous experience working with their hands… thinking up ideas and making them a reality.
If you think Globe-making is your calling in life and you don’t have previous experience as a maker, start building your portfolio now and feel free to email us anytime to share your work.
Relevant skills & experience ::
– 3d design and / or Crafting
– Product design, prop design & build
– Design & Innovation, Engineering
– Experience working with different materials i.e. resins, glues etc.
– Sculpture, Woodwork and even Leatherwork…
Not totally relevant ::
– Textile work / fashion design
We get a lot of applicants from a fashion school background.. if your true passion is working with fabric and designing clothes this job likely will have you feeling fulfilled! If you do want to apply, please explain what cross-over you see and why you want to go a different direction.
– Backgrounds solely in Illustration or painting…
Unless we are specifically hiring for a painter (watercolours) then these amazing talents are not what we are looking for. Everyone in our current team come from a background including illustration and painting, we will most likely be focusing on people who MAKE.
– This is not a cartography or geography related job
You should like maps and globes of course but your GIS / mapping skills will be wasted on us! We do the cartography in-house but we have someone full-time on that already.
* * If you are really passionate – it is of course worth applying no matter what – please realise though that we do get A LOT of CV’s and have to choose who we feel is the strongest * *
EVERY SINGLE CV WILL BE READ AND CONSIDERED.
Personal qualities ::
– Patience is the most important thing in globe-making!
– Light with hands and aware of space around you. You are working around a lot of delicate items.
– Nimble fingers… good with precise cutting.
– Work well as a team and work well in a SMALL team.
– Quick to learn and eager to take on new responsibilities and learn new skills.
– Good communication, hard worker, not afraid to get your hands dirty, capable of multi-tasking….
– Keep a clean, tidy and organised work space.
The team is very involved with new ideas and shaping the future of the company…. so things like wanting to be involved in designing new bases for the globes or thinking of new product ideas is great.
We also handcraft our wood bases and work with metal finishing, you ideally would feel comfortable in the workshop.
We are based in a beautiful old warehouse right off Church Street in Stoke Newington. It is a young group of interesting people and a perfect environment for a creative person… you ideally live somewhat local and already live in London when you apply.
Any job in the company will shape around the persons skills, strengths and passions. Open for discussion regarding backgrounds when hiring – but you must have a strong artistic background to apply.
We ask that you please send your CV with a brief cover letter telling us about yourself, your previous experience and answering;
1. Why do you want to be a globe maker?
2. Are you confident you have time to invest in the company after your 6 month apprenticeship. We are hoping to employ someone longterm.
3. What motivates you?
4. What have you created in the past that has motivated you to a job like this? What have you created in the past that might be relevant to this kind of job?
5. Please list which skills you have experience in – and why define yourself as a MAKER.
6. Please list your training in CAD, photoshop and Indesign.
7. Any questions for me –
You must live in London. We are not looking for people to drop everything and move countries or cities just to work for us as there is no way of knowing you will be able to make globes and it may not work out.
Please email above to >> email@example.com <<
WHEN SENDING YOUR CV PLEASE SEND EXAMPLES and / or links to art you have created or been involved in that best represents you.
Please do not apply if you have never made anything with your hands before.
Please do not call, we love the enthusiasm but an email is the perfect start for us!
We are not hiring for any other roles at the moment.
To learn about future roles please read below.
We will happily take CV’s & portfolios any day of the year and contact you when we are next hiring.
For future reference.. other jobs we hire for :
Woodworker : Artisan Craftsman
We design and build bases of all shapes and sizes for our globes.
The job requires creating wood bases and finishing off hand turned bases. You should be comfortable cutting, sanding, polishing, and working with metal pieces that fit into the wood bases.
You should be experienced with and comfortable using woodworking hand tools, hammers, saws, planers, drills, files, chisels, as well as power tools.
You should know how to operate all the machines and tools required, understand the importance of the health and safety involved, be able to read and follow blueprints, and know when to replace blades and drill bits.
You should keep a tidy workspace, know how to keep deadlines and work well as part of a team as well as by yourself.
We are a young, fun and close-knit company that is more like a family, it is a very artistic and lovely environment to work in.
You will be working around delicate art, you should be able to blend the rougher and messier woodwork around the work the others artists are doing without the threat of anything being broken or scratched. Someone who is light on their feet and aware of their surroundings.
It would be great if you have comfort and experience working with metals but this is not required.
You should be able to take a brief & craft what is being asked for. You should not be afraid to ask questions and feed back, we want you to be part of the process. There will be training involved.
Math skills are also very important in woodworking. You should be able to concentrate on your knowledge of measurements and geometry.
The job takes strength and patience.
Please send your CV, a cover letter explaining why you think this is the job for you and examples of previous woodwork and metalwork you have done. If you have not worked with metals before, no problem, woodwork is the most important aspect of this role.
Please do not apply if you do not have the paperwork to work in England, please do not apply if you do not live in London.
This job will start as a 6 months apprenticeship with the plans of it turning into a full-time permanent position. We would love to have someone passionate about being a part of the company that is with us for the long run.
Salary depends on experience and skills. We are open to people with different levels of experience and skills. We want to find someone who is the perfect fit to the unique work we do.
Please email your CV, cover letter and a few examples of your woodwork.
Please make sure to note in your cover letter where you are currently living, you current work situation, and why you think this role might be right for you. Please do not forget to send your CV and examples of your work. Links to work online are great as well.
We will not accept phone calls regarding this role, we will answer every application.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Watercolour artists… we want to see your portfolios
From time to time we have job opportunities available.. in the meantime if you want to be on our books…
You must have previous experience & a portfolio to show featuring your watercolour skills
– You ideally are living in London at the time of applying with an easy commute to Stoke Newington
– Capable of working to a deadline & having a great eye for detail, colour matching & being incredibly precise
– Work well as a team & on your own
– Have time to commit to the company & want to work in a close knit young spirited company that is like a little family
– If you have a blog or online work send links along with your CV & portfolio
Please do not send your work if you don’t have paperwork to live & work in the UK.
Please do not send your work / email without a portfolio to share … select your favourite watercolour work & send a short informal email as to why you think you are perfect for the job & how your skills would apply to the job.
Your submission should showcase your style of painting & precision.